Saturday, December 4, 2010

An expensive surprise!

Stone fish - not my first choice for dinner.
Today was my girly day. I went for a walk to collect my laundry and went shopping, then went back to the backpackers. The English boys from last night were there and so we went to get some lunch. Basically they were the worst example of backpackers I have found so far - shagging their way around the world and not really seeing any local culture. They didn't want to see anything, they just wanted to crash a hotel pool somewhere. This was the case everywhere they went. They're coming to Melbourne soon so hotel pools, look out. Unfortunately I must have forgotten to give them my phone number... Anyway lunch was interesting as was their description of what they were going to be doing after lunch (couldn't possible write it here though). I went off afterwards by myself, feeling like I needed to find some soap! I got a haircut and though I was very nervous about how it would turn out, he actually did a good job. After that it was time for the manicure and pedicure, which looked great. Of course it was dark in the spa and when I got out I found the colour made me look like a cheap... well, cheap. This was easily remedied of course and they look great. It's amazing how good your nails get when you don't have to wash the dishes!

Field repairs
When I got back, Klara and I decided to go and treat ourselves to a seafood meal. I thought I was getting the hang of this game and we ordered grilled fish and prawns, and Sabah vegies, and fresh juice. It really was delicious. Then we got the bill and a big shock - it came to 300 ringgit!! ($100) This isn't much for a meal like that in Australia but we quickly realised they saw us coming. We hadn't watched them actually weigh the fish (which must have been 4kg by my calculations...) but of course you can't prove anything after you've eaten it! Giggling and feeling thankful that $50 each was not going to break us, we went in search of a beer. My jeans button came off though and so I was faced with the choice of returning to the backpackers or getting it fixed. We walked down to the Philippine Market where I knew there were a lot of guys with sewing machines (it's so cool, they all use those old-school black Singer machines). I found one who looked nice and managed to convey the message that I needed the button fixed. "No problem," he said, so I played my next card - "So.... do you think you can fix them... while I'm still wearing them?" He looked at me like he hadn't quite heard right, and his friend fell about laughing. It was very funny, he agreed to try and half the market was watching while this white girl knelt down as he hammered the button in. Klara was laughing and taking photos and I'm sure the friend wet himself a little bit. In the end he charged me 2 ringgit (60c) and I said don't be ridiculous and gave him 5. He said "I've been here 20 years and I have never had anyone ask me to repair their jeans while they're still wearing them!" I asked if perhaps he could iron them as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment