Thursday, November 4, 2010

At the "Kingfisher Shallay"

Proboscis monkey
Pig-tail macaques
OK so the Kingfisher hut isn't a chalet. But it's our little home in the jungle and it's close to the action. We started today with a 6am river cruise, this time going upriver. There were lots of monkeys, some hornbills and storks, and an area of the river that was black water (apparently runoff from the forest, black = leaf litter). It was a nice way to start the day.
Yvon and I
A bird from the boardwalk
Back for breakfast, we ate milo cereal, eggs and calamari rings. Uh huh. Yum though! After breakfast everyone else headed off on a 3-hour trek to Oxbow corner. My only long pants are jeans and I wasn't walking for 3 hours in the mud in gumboots (sorry, wellies) so I chose to wander around the property here instead.
I found a nice little boardwalk they are building out the back and walked along there for a while, seeing nice birds and lizards. And mosquitos. The others came back tired and hot and not having seen very much at all, so I felt like the winner there. We siesta'd for the rest of the afternoon until the 4pm river cruise, where Risiman took us downriver and found a big family of pigtail macaques. These are my favourite monkeys, I think! They welcomed us with some very amorous behaviour and then groomed each other a couple of metres from the boat. The babies played, frolicked if you will, and it was all very nice.

Tomorrow I'm skipping my flight and Yvon and I are taking a bus to Lasad Datu, a town that Lonely Planet has described as "the most boring place in Borneo". We are on a mission to find out if that's true!

No comments:

Post a Comment