Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Sepilok Jungle Resort

Turtle pool at Sepilok Jungle Resort
I hadn't even got out of the airport before I met another Aussie, Anna, also bound for Sepilok. She happened to have a transfer waiting for her so I jumped in too - great timing. Her lodge is only about 200m away so she and her group came here for dinner. I'm staying at the Sepilok Jungle Resort, which is an interesting place. The facility sprawls over a huge area connected by wooden walkways over ponds and gardens, and there is a fabulous pool area. And a pond full of turtles. And cats.

The pool at the lodge
However, I am staying in the budget accommodation, and though I have full access to everything, it's pretty awful. The room was ok but the bathroom has to be seen to be believed - the second dirtiest I've ever come across (the first was in Airlie Beach and enough for me to hop on the next bus out of town...) No toilet paper and "water" everywhere which is to be expected in South East Asia, but I don't think it's been cleaned. Ever. (Update... I went in this morning and it had been cleaned. Must have been the monthly cleaning.)

Well, a problem shared is a problem halved so I made another new friend, Yvon from Holland. We laughed about the horrendousness and decided the pool was a better option than the shower! She's decided to come with me on the jungle trip, and since I booked a twin room to myself, that works out well.

The heat is ok, it gets pretty oppressive in the afternoon but having a room with just a fan was no problem. There was a huge storm overnight which was good to listen to. In fact we were pretty lucky with the weather yesterday and got to go on a night walk... but more about that later. In the end, 28 ringgit ($9) was pretty good value for a bed, breakfast and a 45-minute transfer from the airport. 

2 comments: