Saturday, November 20, 2010

Trekking the jungle in my pyjamas

Sunset at the mangrove forest
Strange, but true. When I got back my clothes were all so wet that I couldn't wear them. I put my PJ's on and lay down for a little nap and hung them out to dry under the fan, but after about an hour the power went out, and so did I. When I woke up it was humid and stinking hot and my clothes were just as wet, and I hadn't brought any more pants. PJ shorts it is! I met a guy in the cafeteria, Randolph, who had seen proboscis monkeys the night before at sunset so we headed out to where they had been. We waited about an hour but there was no sign of them and the tide was still quite high so I guess they were elsewhere. We had some dinner which I pretty much inhaled since all I'd eaten that day was a can of Milo (yes - a can! It comes in little Red Bull sized cans.), a small muffin and some chocolate on the trail.


Pit viper - and not a happy one!
The power still hadn't come back on and the ranger said it would be out all night. Fabulous! I was going to walk around on my own at night with my fabulous torch but unfortunately it must have switched on in my luggage and was completely dead. So Randolph and I went on the guided night walk and lucky for us, we were the only two so it was nice and quiet. It was surprisingly good! We saw glowing mushrooms, fireflies (one tree looked like a Christmas tree with flashing lights), scorpions, pit vipers, fish, bats and the loudest little frog I've ever seen. Despite the guide's assurances that we would be on a boardwalk the whole time, we ended up on a trail in the humid jungle, with one torch between three of us. After what turned out to be more of a trek than a walk, I limped back to my room to find the power back on. Alas, it only lasted about 2 hours and from then on I just felt like I was underwater. It was one of the most uncomfortable nights of my life!! But still worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment